Safety Enhancement through Connected Users on the Road
Study the potential of communication to improve safety of different road users
Through its 2025 roadmap, the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP) aims to encourage, by a consumer approach, ever more safety on the roads thanks to the use of new inter-vehicle communication solutions. In pursuit of Vision Zero, a functional validation protocol will be developed, and mass-produced vehicles’ safety performance will be evaluated.
Innovative and collaborative, the SECUR project brings great importance to technological neutrality, while there is currently a certain rivalry around the V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) preventing a homogeneous development of connectivity solutions. This pioneering project aims to study the potential of connectivity, especially of V2X technologies, to improve the safety of different road users.
Coordinated by UTAC CERAM MILLBROOK, the SECUR project expect to push a coherent proposal for V2X testing and assessment protocols to the Euro NCAP. To this end, the industrial consortium brings together some twenty international stakeholders, from the entire automotive and V2X ecosystem, who will share knowledge and collaborate through workshops and working groups. First, the most common accident situations on European roads will be studied. Then, the current knowledge on V2X communication systems will be shared and studied. Thereafter, the potential of V2X systems will be studied, either alone or combined with ADAS systems. Finally, multi-technologies connected targets and protocols for evaluating these V2X systems, will be developed.
The project is split into 5 Work Packages described bellow.
Work Packages (WP)
- Accident data study
- Literature review
- European national & in-depth databases
- Cluster analysis
- Filtering with V2X technical features
- V2X existing & upcoming technologies
- Evaluation of thier suitability to address selected use cases
- V2X technologies & systems matrices for the use cases
- Use cases selection
- ADAS features & limits study
- Potential of merging ADAS & V2X technologies study
- Use cases selection
- On-track validation testing with the industry
- Propulsion system manufacturers & V2X solutions providers collaboration
- Multi-technologies connected targets development
- On-track validation testing with industry
- V2X technologies test and assessment proposition creation
- Test procedures for the selected use case definition
- Results dissemination